Friday Five Business Briefing – January 20, 2023
Consumers business services
Here’s news you can use in a constantly changing business environment, including job growth, the value trends for Michigan’s public companies, HR lessons learned in 2022, tips for learning to delegate and more.
- 2022 job growth second highest in history — According to a University of Michigan economist, 2022 brought us record low unemployment and high job growth. Average monthly job growth for 2022 was the second highest in history. Economists say the healthy job market increasingly matched pre-pandemic employment patterns.
- $120 billion in lost stock value — A Bridge Michigan analysis shows that Michigan’s largest public companies struggled with the stock market, with over 40% of the companies losing more than the 19.4% drop in the S&P 500.
- HR lessons learned in 2022 — One of the key HR and benefits lessons learned in 2022 is that the ROI on DEI is tangible. Discover 21 more HR-related lessons that range from recruiting in overlooked talent pools to the need for long COVID accommodations.
- Improve your online security in 2023 — It’s easier to shore up your online security than you think. Discover three simple, free ways to improve your online security.
- Why is it so hard to delegate? — The reasons business leaders struggle to delegate vary, but the route to delegating involves emotional intelligence. Reflecting on your past experiences may be the key to unlocking emotional blocks and allow you to delegate more. Learn how to dig deep so you can delegate more easily.
Thank you to our Friday Five sources: University of Michigan, Bridge Michigan, Employee Benefit News, Fast Company and Inc.
Federally insured by NCUA