A penny saved is a penny earned
It's never too soon to start learning money management skills. With accounts for kids and teens, our youngest members have the tools and resources they'll need to become financially savvy adults. To open yours stop by one of our office locations!
Fun ways for kids to save
Consumers youth savings accounts are an engaging way for kids 12 and under to make depositing money fun, while teaching great savings habits at the same time!
- $5.00 to open an account (Social Security number and qualified parent or guardian required)
- Choice of Consumers piggy bank upon account opening
- Penny and Buck educational curriculum and coloring book
Developing money cents
Our teen accounts help youth learn to manage their own money by introducing checking and debit cards and gaining access to Consumers’ online and mobile banking tools to see them through college and beyond.
- Checking accounts and debit cards for teens 15+ (with a qualified parent or guardian on the account)
- Financial education: classroom presentations upon request and other educational opportunities
- Online and mobile money management tools – access to Online Banking, our Mobile App and Text Banking to put your teens’ accounts right at their fingertips
- Eligible for Consumers Scholars program – 20 graduating high school members win $500 and an iPad every year
#SliceOfLife gives students a hands-on, engaging experience with the realities of budgeting—taking the abstract notion of “expenses” and making them tangible with real-world numbers and details.
We bring a family-style duke it out quiz game to classrooms that makes financial learning fun.
We love spending time investing in career fairs and financial education events at colleges and universities across West Michigan. But we especially hold dear our time spent at one of the coolest hangouts on our hometown Western Michigan University’s campus.