Friday Five Business Briefing – May 17, 2019
Here’s news to help you run your business better, including trends in consumer confidence, venture capital investing in Michigan, understanding the Millennial mindset and more.
- Consumer confidence holds steady — The April Index of Consumer Sentiment shows little change and only small variations since Trump entered office. 44% of consumers anticipate financial improvements in the year ahead. Get more stats on consumer confidence here.
- State of venture capital in Michigan — The Michigan Venture Capital Association reports that a record $385 million was invested in 61 companies by VC firms either headquartered in Michigan or with offices here. However, there is less cash on hand to invest in current or new portfolio companies. Read more in Crain’s special report.
- The Millennial mindset — For younger workers, professional realities are wildly different from the ones Boomers knew. Learn what makes Millennials tick and how tap into their aspirations.
- It sounds backwards but slowing down leads to greater success — If you’re looking for better results, there are four great reasons for doing less, starting with greater clarity. Get the other three reasons here.
- Getting a phone back — In this article about reuniting lost phones with their owners, we found a great tip for everyone: Put a label with contact information inside your phone case. (Of course, you don’t want to use your own mobile number!)
Thank you to our Friday Five sources: Survey of Consumers at the University of Michigan, Crain’s Detroit Business, Ladders, Inc. and The New York Times.
Do you have business banking questions? Contact our knowledgeable business development managers or call 800-991-2221. We’re here to help you grow your business!
Federally insured by NCUA